deduplicating lambda methods

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Sat Mar 31 14:24:47 UTC 2018

> That number doesn't tell the whole story about whether deduplication
> is useful
> in practice, but if nothing else it lets us measure the relative
> improvement from
> changes to the deduplication logic.

One reason I encouraged this project is that it is synergistic with
other optimizations in the pipeline, namely using ConstantDynamic
(condy) to translate non-capturing lambdas and method refs.  This has a
direct performance benefit (lighter than indy) and offers more sharing.
Further, a little farther down the road is more aggresive constant
propagation, which may turn some capturing lambdas into non-capturing
ones (big win already), and further expose them to condy-ization and
therefore deduplication.