Hyphenated Keywords and Unsigned Primitive Types

John Rose john.r.rose at oracle.com
Tue Jan 15 07:12:59 UTC 2019

If I were to add it before value types, I'd put in some
kind of decoration on method *signatures* to obviate
mangled names.  I partially developed a framework to
allow this in http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/8204937
It doesn't cover unsigned ints cleanly, but could be
adapted to do so.  The idea is that some annotated
version of "I" would signal the intention that the particular
32-bit value is to be interpreted in a special way.
The scheme is supposed to be open-ended with a
suitable metaobject protocol, so the an unsigned
int can be assigned its own API and interconversions
with regular int.  But all this works much better on
classes (not primitives) which already have infrastructure
for defining ad hoc APIs.  Like I said in the previous
message, it's better to steer towards a world where
primitives can be treated as having classes, and
then new primitives can be easily added, without
having to make new rules for the JVM.

— John