compareTo and deriving

forax at univ-mlv.fr forax at univ-mlv.fr
Tue Dec 5 08:12:34 UTC 2017

So let restart by trying to untangle things.

First question, should we only support Object methods (toString, equals, hashCode) or more, again here, two sub questions,
it can be only (toString, equals, hashCode) in the first release and more in a subsequent release.
Why more, the question is where to put the bar, if we do only toString, equals, hashCode, people will ask for compareTo (i don't think there is another method than compareTo but i may be wrong). The rational to introduce compareTo is that the semantics of compareTo is linked to the semantics of equals which is generated, so asking someone to write compareTo given that he doesn't have to write equals is clunky. There are several reason to not introduce compareTo. toString, equals, hashCode cover most of the case and we have to stop somewhere, people tend to use compareTo at a place where they should use a Comparator, i.e. the order defined by compareTo is not a 'natural' order.

Second question, how to specify the mapping between toString, equals, hashCode and their implementation ? Should we have a way to extends the mapping if we want to introduce compareTo later without having to change the JLS. Again, sub-questions, Should this mapping being explicit like in Haskell with deriving or should it be implicit, there is no real need to specify a mapping for the method for j.l.Object because those method declaration are already present, and if the record implements Comparable it means that we have to provide the implementation of compareTo.

regards,
Rémi