Switching on float/double/long

Paul Sandoz paul.sandoz at oracle.com
Thu Dec 14 01:44:08 UTC 2017

Recently i was mildly annoyed to discover that Float/DoubleBuffer provide another variant of equality different to that of Float.equals/Arrays.equals and ==, specifically:

*   This method considers two float elements {@code a} and {@code b}
*   to be equal if
*   {@code (a == b) || (Float.isNaN(a) && Float.isNaN(b))}.
*   The values {@code -0.0} and {@code +0.0} are considered to be
*   equal, unlike {@link Float#equals(Object)}.

The vectorized implementations for float/double comparison/equality leverage the equivalent of floatToRawIntBits and on a mismatch have to check if it was caused by NaNs and if continue the search. The equivalent vectorized implementation for buffers (in progress) needs to do the same for NaNs and +0/-0.

I can imagine bit-wise comparison is problematic since IIUC the actually bit pattern of a NaN value can, in a platform specific manner, change depending on how it’s operated on.

Paul.