Record and annotation values

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Sun Apr 8 21:33:33 UTC 2018

I think this is one in the category of "just because you can, doesn't
meant you should."  So before discussing mechanisms, let's discuss goals.

Annotations are for metaDATA.  The restriction on what you can put in an
annotation stems in part from what you can put in the constant pool, but
busting the constant pool limits doesn't automatically mean its a good
idea to make it an annotation value.

The rule that I've been gravitating towards is: anything that is
important enough to have a _literal form_ in the language, probably is
is a good candidate to consider as an annotation value.  The obvious
first candidate is method refs (excluding instance-bound ones).  But
even with mrefs in, I'd say no to lambdas, because annotation values
should also be scrutable to annotation processors.  (If we had
collection literals, then collections of things that can already go in
annos is probably also a valid candidate.)

Don't forget that just because a record has all-final fields, doesn't
mean its immutable all the way down.  And while some notion of
"immutable all the way down" has been a frequent wish-list item, taking
that on just so you can stash records in annotations is definitely tail
wagging the dog.

On the second point (reifying parameter names), while I don't object to
doing this, this can't be the "official" way to get this data.  It
should be reflectively accessible, because you need to nominally tie the
constructor arguments to some way of getting their values (getters or
fields).  The compiler prototype uses an annotation on the class
declaration that stashes this, but that's just a prototyping hack; this
probably needs a RecordSignature attribute.