Next up for patterns: type patterns in switch

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Mon Aug 10 21:02:21 UTC 2020

Some further color on this, to characterize why all the angst over
matching Box(null) seems mostly like a collective "bleah, different is
scary" freakout...

Case 1.  The Box domain rejects nulls in the ctor.  Then it doesn't
matter what we do; all the schemes discussed for `Box(Object o)` will do
the same thing.

Case 2.  The Box domain loves nulls!  Boxes can contain nulls, and users
should always expect to find a null in a box; not doing so is using
boxes wrong.

In that case, `case Box(Object o)` should surely match `Box(null)`,
since its an unremarkable element of the Box domain.  Here, though,
people get nervous: "if we bind o to null, a careless users might NPE!"
But that's likely to happen anyway -- and should.

Suppose we didn't have deconstruction patterns, and instead the user
writes:

     case Box b: ...

There's no question this matches Box(null).  And, the same code the
careless programmer might write with `Box(var o)`, they're going to
write almost exactly the same thing here:

     case Box b:
         Object boxContents = b.contents(); // returns null, no problem
         boxContents.foo()                  // Same NPE

In this case, we do the users no favors -- actually, we do anti-favors
-- by "hiding" Box(null) from the domain, on the off chance that they
will screw it up.  If Box is a null-loving domain, then clients need to
write null-aware code, and hiding the nulls doesn't help.

Further, this example shows another element from our refactoring
catalog: users should be able to freely refactor:

     case Foo target:
         Object component = target.component();

with

     case Foo(Object component) target: ...

without changing the semantics.  But if `Foo(Object)` doesn't match
`Foo(null)`, that's yet another sharp edge.

Essentially, I think the "never match nulls" crowd just really hates
nulls and wants them to go away.  But they are not going away, and we do
no one any favors by hiding our heads in the sand.