Draft JEP: Sealed Classes

Gavin Bierman gavin.bierman at oracle.com
Mon Mar 22 12:03:31 UTC 2021

Dear all,

Now JDK 16 is out (yay!) it’s time for us to focus on finalizing Sealed Classes in JDK 17.

I have written a draft JEP, which is unchanged (other than some superficial editorial changes) from JEP 397.

https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/8260514

(I think Brian’s proposal to consider extending the language in some way to support assignment and switch statements being total over sealed hierarchies is something that can be considered as a JEP in itself.)

If you have any comments on the draft JEP, please let me know!

Thanks,
Gavin