Rehabilitating switch -- a scorecard

Remi Forax forax at univ-mlv.fr
Mon May 17 22:08:09 UTC 2021

I believe the only pending issue on that matter is the position of default inside the switch,
With the legacy switch, default can be in the middle, with a switch on types that default has to be the last case.

I think we should try to emit a warning if "default" is not at last position, both Eclipse and IntelliJ already have that warning.

Rémi

> *Someone actually suggested using the syntax "new switch", on the basis that new
> was already a keyword. Would not have aged well.
if we add a prefix "new" to switch for each LTS release, e.g. new new switch for 6 years after 2018, it would help the future historians because radiocarbon dating does not work well on the source code.