Compile-time type hierarchy information in pattern switch

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Thu Apr 5 15:25:36 UTC 2018

Yes, this is surely an option.

But it doesn't answer the underlying question -- if the hierarchy
changes in various ways between compile and runtime, what behavior can
the user count on, and what changes yield "undefined" behavior?

While its easy to say "you should do what the code says", taking that
too far ties tie our hands behind our back, and makes switches that
should be O(1) into O(n).