<AWT Dev> splashscreen.so is missing pnggccrd.c

Martin Buchholz martinrb at google.com
Fri Aug 29 10:46:03 PDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 3:37 AM, Anthony Petrov <Anthony.Petrov at sun.com> wrote:
> On 08/28/2008 08:33 PM Martin Buchholz wrote:
>>
>> I'm thinking:
>> - the MMX support is in pnggccrd.c,
>> - but that file is never compiled in OpenJDK
>
> Why? There's the following line in the make/sun/splashscreen/Makefile:
>
> vpath %.c   $(SHARE_SRC)/native/$(PKGDIR)/libpng
>
> that effectively includes all *.c files in the libpng sources directory
> (src/share/native/sun/awt/libpng/) in the compilation process.

Anthony,

I believe this is a small misunderstanding of how vpath works.
vpath changes the _search path_ for files, but does not affect which
files are actually compiled.   That is defined in
make/sun/splashscreen/FILES_c.gmk
and pnggccrd.c is notably absent from that file.
If you actually try a clean build, on any platform,
you will see no references to pnggccrd (or pngvcrd)
in the logs (prove me wrong!).

Martin