<AWT Dev> MAWT vs XAWT

Oleg Sukhodolsky Oleg.Sukhodolsky at Sun.COM
Wed May 14 07:11:11 PDT 2008

Hi Roman,

>> in XAWT we paint most components ourselves using 2D.  For some (text
>> components) we use Swing.
>
> Cool. It seems like this is more or less tied into the X peer
> implementation. I think it would be great to factor this stuff out into
> some sort of generic peer implementation to be able to use it in other
> backends too (I have a couple of backends that I would be happy to reuse
> this code). If you think this is feasible (or am I overseeing any
> gotcheas?), this would make a great sub-project for my OpenJDK Challenge
> project Portable GUI Backends.

It should be possible, but I have never investigated possibility of such
refactoring so I can not say what kind of problems you could have on
this way.  Try and you will know ;)

>> As for possible choice:  there is no choice :)  We dropped MAWT,we have
>> not removed it from sources for now because it require more work, but
>> right now only XAWT is built.
>
> Ok, good to know. I wonder why OpenMotif or lesstif is required to build
> OpenJDK then?

I think we need headers to get some constants, but perhaps we forgot to
remove the check ;)  We will look at this.

Oleg.