<AWT Dev> COMPONENT_RESIZED/COMPONENT_MOVED events for toplevel windows

Anthony Petrov Anthony.Petrov at Sun.COM
Fri Apr 24 07:45:34 PDT 2009

There's a bug: 6754618 (Frame triggers componentMoved and
componentResized events when restored from iconified state) [1]

Running the test on different platforms with different Java versions I
observe different results:

Linux/Metacity:

1.5.0, 6u13:
Immediately after running the test I receive the Resized and Moved
event. Subsequent iconification/deiconification of the frame does not
generate any additional events.

7 (~b56):
I receive only the Resized event on startup.
Iconification/deiconification do not generate any events. The Moved
event gets never delivered.

MS Windows Vista:

1.5.0
I receive no events at all, neither on startup, nor on subsequent actions.

1.6.0, 6u14, 7 (~b56):
No events on startup. Each deiconification generates the Moved/Resized pair.

Because of the different behavior, I can not decide which one should be
considered a correct one. In most cases the AWT sends the events to
components when it receives the events from the native system. Some time
ago we decided that this would be the most correct behavior that we
could achieve. Indeed, the Moved/Resized pair observed currently on MS
Windows get generated as a reaction on the natively received
WM_SIZE/WM_MOVE messages (in JDK 7: see the
src/windows/native/sun/windows/awt_Window.cpp file for details).

Does anyone have any ideas on what should be done with the bug?

[1] http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=6754618

--
best regards,
Anthony