<AWT Dev> [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] Review Request for 6879044

Andrei V. Dmitriev Andrei.Dmitriev at Sun.COM
Tue Sep 22 13:09:10 PDT 2009

Mandy Chung wrote:
> (I took the core-libs-dev off as this is about awt/2d/swing discussion).
>
> The main question is whether the client stack wants to require the
> dependency on logging when the JDK is broken down into fine-grained
> module.   It is fine to wait until the jigsaw module system is ready
> to provide the performance numbers for you to evaluate.
>
> Some clarification inlined below.
>
> Andrei Dmitriev wrote:
>> Hi Mandy, Oleg,
>>
>> I'm going to summarize pros and cons of this change just to make
>> judge (basically for myself).
>>
>> 1) we can't expect a significant memory gain (the numbers are ~90Kb).
>> That's a minus.
>
> I would not say it's a minus as it doesn't have negative impact.
Ok.

>> 2) we decouple awt/swing/2d with logging package which is a Plus in a
>> view of jigsaw. See 6) for more.
>> 3) we don't have time measures for this change. That's a minus.
>
> This statement isn't true.  This should be "no significant perf
> improvement" for this fix and the perf improvment is not the goal for
> this fix.
Oh, ok, that what I wanted to learn.
.

> I did run the refworkload startup benchmark.  But the numbers confirm
> that there is no significant improvement as expected.

> mchung.baseline.b70:
>   Benchmark           Samples        Mean     Stdev
> Geomean Weight
>   startup3                 30        2.33      0.05
>     Framer                 30        0.30      0.01             0.03
>     JEdit                  30        1.71      0.11             0.30
>     LimeWire               30        2.21      0.06             0.30
>     NetBeans               30        7.38      0.14             0.30
>     Noop                   30        0.11      0.00             0.03
>     XFramer                30        0.30      0.00             0.04
>
> mchung.platform.logging:
>   Benchmark           Samples        Mean     Stdev   %Diff     P
> Significant
>   startup3                 30        2.34      0.05   -0.22 0.684       *
>     Framer                 30        0.30      0.00    0.33 0.326       *
>     JEdit                  30        1.70      0.09    0.99 0.522       *
>     LimeWire               30        2.24      0.05   -1.56 0.025       *
>     NetBeans               30        7.37      0.06    0.08 0.833       *
>     Noop                   30        0.11      0.02   -3.94 0.326       *
>     XFramer                30        0.30      0.00    0.22 0.310       *
>
>   * - Not Significant: A non-zero %Diff for the mean could be noise.
> If the
>       %Diff is 0, an actual difference may still exist. In either
> case, more
>       samples would be needed to detect an actual difference in sample
> means.
>
>> 4) nobody measured anything else than Framer and SwingSet. That's a
>> minus.
>
> As I said, the fix is to eliminate the dependency on logging.  I'm not
> sure what measurement you want to do.
Yeah, I see.

>> 5) we lose flexibility on debugging. That's a minus.
>
> This statement isn't true.  AWT debugging ability is unchanged.
To be honest, I used client logging not so often and that was only
required for customer's sites. We get rid of loggers... but I'll still
could run same logging as before?!

What about 6)? Will we bother with other parts of JDK or leave it for a
later time?
And any thoughts about 7)?

Thanks,
  Andrei