<AWT Dev> [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] Review Request for 6879044

Anthony Petrov Anthony.Petrov at Sun.COM
Wed Sep 23 05:08:29 PDT 2009

On 09/23/2009 03:41 PM, Alan Bateman wrote:
>> If AWT initialized the loggers lazily, and only did it when the
>> logging is actually enabled (checking for some system property, or
>> whatever other way), would we still be statically linked to the
>> j.u.logging package in case of a regular client application that does
>> not use/enable logging explicitly?
> Yes, minimally they should be created lazily (this is one of the
> suggestions that Mandy listed in 6880089). That would at least avoid
> initializing all these loggers. The static dependency remains.

Ah, I just looked over the PlatformLogger code, and now I see it uses
reflection to access the j.u.logging.* classes. Now this point is clear.

Have it been discussed whether that is feasible to modify the VM in
order to eliminate the static dependency if a particular object never
gets initialized?

It just looks kind of artificial to create such proxy classes. I bet
we'll need plenty of them for other modules. Won't the code be messed up
too much?

--
best regards,
Anthony