<AWT Dev> bug 6913179 (The java.awt.FileDialog should use native GTK file chooser on linux distros) - indentation corrected

Anthony Petrov Anthony.Petrov at Sun.COM
Tue May 4 07:31:20 PDT 2010

Hi Costantino,

On 05/02/2010 09:43 PM, Costantino Cerbo wrote:
> I was wrong: I meant the issue 6927978 (Directory Selection standard
> dialog support) and not the 6705345 (that's already fixed).
>
> The goal is to add to the FileDialog a feature like the
> JFileChooser#setFileSelectionMode(JFileChooser.DIRECTORIES_ONLY).

Thanks for the correction.

> My idea it to allow FileDialog#setMode(.) to accept also the value
> LOAD_DIRECTORIES_ONLY ( = 2).
> It's a minimal change that doesn't broke the existing API. Do you
> agree to do so?

Yes, I strongly agree that AWT FileDialog should support selecting
directories. That might even be another class like DirectoryDialog,
since the API for these operations differs quite a lot. However,
currently we have three different implementations of the FileDialog on:

1. MS Windows
2. X11 + GTK
3. X11 w/o GTK

And we actually have to be able to display a directory chooser on each
of the 'platforms' as well. W/o that I'm afraid we can't accept such a fix.

> I can do the fix for GTK. Does anybody in this mailing list want to
> deliver the patch for windows?

Anyone please?

--
best regards,