<AWT Dev> Add mutter as a window manager.

Anthony Petrov anthony.petrov at oracle.com
Wed Apr 11 12:21:25 PDT 2012

Hi Omair and Artem,

On 4/11/2012 9:20 PM, Omair Majid wrote:
>> PS. Perhaps it also makes sense to rewrite that comment in the
>> XDecoratedPeer to replace the word "bug" with something saying that this
>> is implemented according to the ICCCM specification with a reference to
>> the paragraph 4.1.5 of it?
>
> Agreed. I would like to go so far as to make this the default, and add
> other window managers (which are deviating from ICCCM) as exceptions. I
> am afraid of introducing regressions, though.

I wholeheartedly support this idea in theory. But it seems scary in
practice. We would need to run all automatic and manual AWT regression
tests on at least all major WMs (Metacity, Kwin, Compiz, and (sic!) CDE
- as long as we support Solaris CDE desktops, not sure if this is
relevant to JDK 8 though) to ensure no regressions arise. Note that we
have to test this with quite old versions of the WMs, e.g. Metacity from
Gnome 2.6 (or is it 2.4?) - this is what Solaris 10 has to offer, etc.
And ideally we would also want to test on all those forgotten/rare
creatures like SawFish, Motif, Enlightenment, etc. This looks like a lot
of work for such a simple fix.

However, your current fix looks pretty safe and is fully consistent with
our current XAWT code.

Artem, what's your opinion?

--
best regards,