<AWT Dev> Behavior difference when open file dialog from applet

Artem Ananiev artem.ananiev at oracle.com
Thu Apr 19 09:31:11 PDT 2012

Hi, Jonathan,

you're right, GTK and X file dialogs behave differently when
SecurityManager is installed. However, instead of changing GTK dialogs,
I propose to correct X dialogs, so they don't throw security exceptions.

Indeed, application may create arbitrary java.io.File objects without
any permissions. File permissions are only checked when application
tries to read from, or write into, or just open the file. AWT file
dialogs are about getting File objects, they don't provide access to
File content (be it a regular file or a directory), so I don't see any
reasons to throw exceptions.

What do you think about it?

Thanks,

Artem