<AWT Dev> Antialiasing of fonts without Gnome or KDE

Christophe Garion garion at isae.fr
Mon Apr 23 09:08:58 PDT 2012

Hello,

First of all, I am sorry if this is not the right list to post on. I am
using a "non standard" WM (Xmonad) without Gnome or KDE. Although I have
set the Xft.antialias property in my ~/.Xresources config file,
antialiasing is not taken into account.

Of course, I could set the _JAVA_OPTIONS environment variable to
-Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=on to turn on antialiasing, but in this
case, there is a log message (Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS:
-Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=on) on stderr which can confuse for
instance Ant.

It seems to me that OpenJDK use gnome-settings-daemon (or KWin) to
determine if antialising is on. Could it be possible to use for instance
xrdb to determine if antialising is required? It seems also to me that
if Gnome settings set antialising, xrdb detects it.

Of course, this is a naive question, as I do not have any patch to
propose for the moment.

Thanks,

Christophe

--
Christophe Garion          ISAE/DMIA - SUPAERO/IN
garion at isae.fr             10 avenue Edouard Belin