<AWT Dev> [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] Request for Review: Remove import of empty JNI header files

Magnus Ihse Bursie magnus.ihse.bursie at oracle.com
Thu Apr 26 00:35:46 PDT 2012

On 2012-04-26 03:06, Jim Graham wrote:
> Can we remove these "empty JNI" classes from a list of "javah" classes
> somewhere so that we don't waste time generating the empty JNI headers?

Good idea -- that's exactly what is being done in the new build system
(the build-infra project)! :-)

We added a new option to javac, which generates JNI headers
automatically, if they are needed -- basically, if the class contains
native methods *). So header generation is made always when needed and
only when needed, quickly and as  a part of normal compilation.

Since these classes didn't have any native methods, the header files
were not generated, and the compile of the native code failed since the
#include pointed to non-exisiting files.

*) Actually, sometimes classes with constants but without native methods
are needed. In this case, the new annotation @GenerateNativeHeader is
needed.

/Magnus