<AWT Dev> [7u6] Review request for 7181027: [macosx] Unable to use headless mode

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Thu Jul 12 14:26:13 PDT 2012

On 12/07/2012 10:33 PM, Anthony Petrov wrote:
> The logic is all in src/solaris/native/java/lang/java_props_macosx.c.
> The getPreferredToolkit() returns the HToolkit constant when the
> headless mode is needed on the Mac. And the GetJavaProperties() will
> then choose the sun.awt.HToolkit as the toolkit. Interesting.

Interesting indeed. But my concerns remain. HToolkit was not intended
for general use. OSX seems to be handling headless mode in a completely
different way to Solaris/linux.

Of course it may be that on OSX you run into the same conditions when
headless that required the introduction of HToolkit. But somebody should
have made a very conscious decision to do that.

> But it all seems to work fine in headless mode on the Mac, right?

You mean apart from this bug? ;-) I see a few bugs involving headless on
OSX.

Cheers,
David