<AWT Dev> [7u6] Review request for 7181027: [macosx] Unable to use headless mode

Anthony Petrov anthony.petrov at oracle.com
Fri Jul 13 05:58:28 PDT 2012

I dug into the code history a little. The following Mike's changeset is
"to blame" for using HToolkit in headless mode on the Mac:

http://hg.openjdk.java.net/macosx-port/macosx-port/jdk/rev/67591b2326bf

I've looked through the LWCToolkit.m which implements native methods
specific to the real, headful Mac toolkit, and actually all of the code
seems to be related to headful behavior only.

Note that in the headless mode the awt_LoadLibrary.c will still load the
correct lwawt dynamic native library, so all the necessary steps to
initialize the app from Mac OS X perspective will be performed anyway,
and all the native methods required by CFontManager and other C* classes
will be available also.

So basically I don't really see a problem with using the HToolkit class
for headless mode on the Mac. Note that Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit() will
wrap the real toolkit instance into a HeadlessToolkit class anyway, so
code that relies on instanceof checks against a toolkit instance should
not be affected by this choice in any way.

David, do you see any specific issues with using HToolkit on a desktop
(Mac) system?

--
best regards,
Anthony