<AWT Dev> JAWT Breakage in OpenJDK 7/8

Omair Majid omajid at redhat.com
Wed Jul 25 07:40:52 PDT 2012

On 07/25/2012 05:33 AM, Artem Ananiev wrote:
> Hi, Omair,
>
> I don't remember the exact reason for LD_LIBRARY_PATH changes, but it's
> very unlikely they can be reverted. Your proposed patch will probably
> solve the problem (I haven't checked, though), but it has major
> side-effect: increased startup time.

I am not sure how significant that would be. It's a tiny library after
all - only 0.5KB on my machine.

> That's why I vote for just updating JAWT documentation to include
> System.loadLibrary() call in the application code.

While I agree that the docs should be updated, I dont think it's
sufficient: existing applications that rely on this are currently
broken. If the applications can not be modified (third-party or
read-only) then this (for all intents and purposes) breaks the promised
"binary compatibility" of OpenJDK :(

Thanks,
Omair