<AWT Dev> [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] [8] Review request for 8005607: Recursion in J2DXErrHandler() Causes a Stack Overflow on Linux

Anton Litvinov anton.litvinov at oracle.com
Fri Jan 11 02:44:34 PST 2013

Hello Jim,

Thank you very much for the review and provision of a new idea of a
solution. Elimination of the logic, which sets/unsets J2DXErrHandler()
for each call "XShmAttach(awt_display, &shminfo))" should effectively
resolve the issue, but only in case if all other native error handlers,
which were set by the system function "XSetErrorHandler()" in JDK or in
any external library, observe the rule of relaying of all events, which
are not relative to them, to the previously saved error handlers.
Otherwise an error generated during "XShmAttach" function call will not
be handled by J2DXErrHandler().

Could you answer the following question. By setting J2DXErrHandler()
only once and forever do you mean usage of AWT global event handler
"static int ToolkitErrorHandler(Display * dpy, XErrorEvent * event)"
from "src/solaris/native/sun/xawt/XlibWrapper.c" with Java synthetic
handlers or creation of another global native error handler with
J2DXErrHandler as native synthetic handler?

Thank you,
Anton