<AWT Dev> [8] Review Request for CR JDK-8020371 [macosx] applets with Drag and Drop fail with IllegalArgumentException

Petr Pchelko petr.pchelko at oracle.com
Thu Jul 11 02:51:03 PDT 2013

Hello, AWT Team.

Please review the fix for the issue:
http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=8020371
(It's recently created, so it might not be visible on bugs.sum.com yet)
The fix is available at:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~pchelko/8020371/webrev/

The problem:
We currently do not support DnD in applets on Mac, so IllegalArgumentException was thrown. If you explicitly call component.setDropTarget(new DropTarget()) the applet would fail to start due to this exception.

The solution:
The fix removes the exception and silently ignores unsupported DnD initialization.
DnD does not start to work, however at least an applet could be started.
However, I'm not sure if we should print a warning about unsupported DnD. What do you think?

With best regards. Petr.