<AWT Dev> [8] Request for review: 8017189 [macosx] AWT program menu disabled on Mac

Sergey Bylokhov Sergey.Bylokhov at oracle.com
Mon Jul 22 09:01:55 PDT 2013

Hi, Gregg.
On 22.07.2013 19:08, Gregg Wonderly wrote:
> As a user of MACOS-X and Windows and Linux and as a developer, I'd
> really like to suggest that the issue with MACOS-X, is that the menu
> is an application thing, not a window thing.  The problem with Java on
> OS-X, is that Java Menus are "window things", not application things.
> By promoting menus out of windows and onto the menu bar, the single
> window application has a convenient transformation into an OS-X
> application.   However, as soon as you introduce a modal window, such
> as a dialog, which would disable the main window access, and thus make
> the menu bar there, unusable, the OS-X menu bar extraction, from the
> main window, becomes problematic.
According to documentation of modal dialogs: "Modal dialogs block all
input to some top-level windows" including the menu. So this is correct
behavior.
After the fix for 8010906 the modal dialogs disable parent menubar
instead of removing.
This is a small trade-off without violating the specification

> It seems to me, that what should actually happen, is that any "window"
> in java, that is "current", should have it's menu bar pushed in to the
> OS-X menubar.   If I have two or more, non-modal windows, and I click
> between them, I'd expect to have access to two or more distinct menu
> bars just like I would on other OSes using Java.  A modal window would
> just cause it's own menu bar to be used, and that would greatly
> simplify and unify the behavior to work as the application has been
> designed.
>
> Gregg Wonderly
>
> On 7/22/2013 9:02 AM, Sergey Bylokhov wrote:
>> Hi, Leonid.
>> Is seems to me that this is another issue, and both jdk6jdk8 behave
>> incorrectly.
>> When the window with mainmenubar is disposed, menu should be removed,
>> because it doesn't make sense in this case. So dispose of the window
>> should be fixed.
>> What do you think?
>>
>> On 22.07.2013 16:57, Leonid Romanov wrote:
>>> Hi.
>>> Here is a test case that, with your patch applied, works differently
>>> than JDK 6:
>>> 1. Show JFrame with a menu
>>> 2.  Create a modal dialog with the frame as a parent
>>> 3. Dispose the frame