<AWT Dev> [8] Request for review: 8017189 [macosx] AWT program menu disabled on Mac

Leonid Romanov leonid.romanov at oracle.com
Tue Jul 23 03:37:08 PDT 2013

On 7/23/2013 14:06, Sergey Bylokhov wrote:
> On 22.07.2013 23:32, Leonid Romanov wrote:
>> Well, I'd like us to stay consistent with JDK 6. However, if we
>> decide to fix this issue in some other way, we need to be consistent
>> with other possible cases, like setting frame's menu to null before
>> showing a dialog, making frame invisible, and so on.
>> But as you've said, this issue is not related to 8017189, so let's go
>> back to the fix for 8017189. I've got another question about it. When
>> native window loses focus, we call -(void) deactivate method of
>> CMenuBar class. At first, I thought that it basically removes all the
>> menu items from the menu bar, but then I realized that it is not the
>> case, because your fix depends on the fact that the window gaining
>> focus inherits the menu bar from the window that just lost it. Now,
>> consider step 4 of your scenario. Here, the dialog2 is the window
>> that is loosing focus, and dialog1 is the window that is gaining it.
>> As a result of dialog2 loosing focus, the current menu bar gets
>> marked as not active (sActiveMenuBar in CMenuBar is set to false).
>> When dialog1 gains focus, we do nothing with the current menu,
>> because the opposite window (dialog2) doesn't formally have a menu
>> (opposite->javaMenuBar is NULL). This means that dialog1 now has a
>> menu that is formally inactive.
>> Since I don't really understand the purpose of  -(void) deactivate
>> method, I can't say whether the situation I've described above is
>> problematic or not.  What do you think?
> Actually this is not a problem of my fix, this is a problem of
> 8010906,  which was implemented on top of "opposite" property instead
> of "dialog parent".  Probably you know why?
> I'll try to change it, but not sure is it dangerous to change it now
> or not.
I agree, after looking more closely at the original code, it seems that
we will get the same deactivation issue in case of showing non modal
dialog. I've no idea why 8010906 was implemented on top of the opposite,
perhaps it looked like the simplest approach back then. Do you think
that traversing windows hierarchy tree from the dialog being shown to an
ancestor frame with a menu would have been a better idea?