<AWT Dev> [8] Review request for 8011059 [macosx] Make JDK demos look perfect on retina displays

Jim Graham james.graham at oracle.com
Wed Nov 13 12:18:35 PST 2013

On 11/13/13 11:44 AM, Sergey Bylokhov wrote:

>>> I think you misunderstood me here.  I'm not saying anything about the
>>> BI->BI->retina case.  I'm saying that even on pure retina your logic
>>> chooses the wrong scale because of mistakes made in examining the
>>> transform state type.
>> No I understood. But a transform of the sg2d already include devScale.
>> This part of the fix was changed from version to version. We could use
>> devScale only, or a transform if it is scaled, or an any transform. If
>> nobody objects, we could use any type of transform.
>> My point about BI1-BI2-retina is that the user cannot control
>> devScale, and so cannot force BI1 to use scaled version. But if we
>> take into account current transform of the SG2D, then user can control
>> that via transform and hint.
> I just realize that hint is not necessary now and can be skip it,
> because we use instanceof anyway(img instanceof MultiResolutionImage).

I'm not sure what hint you are referring to under which conditions?

If you are referring to SunHint and its new values, I agree that it is
mostly redundant now to get the default behavior that developers are
looking for.  I thought it was being created to provide a non-public API
for being able to turn off the behavior?  (i.e. a "use at your own risk
since this is in sun.*" API)

I think we will support @2x images just fine without it, though...

			...jim