<AWT Dev> [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] [8] Review request for 8011059 [macosx] Make JDK demos look perfect on retina displays

Alexander Scherbatiy alexandr.scherbatiy at oracle.com
Thu Nov 28 06:45:45 PST 2013

  Could you review the updated fix:
    http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~alexsch/8011059/webrev.11/

   I have moved new API supporting to the separate issue:
     JDK-8029339 Custom MultiResolution image support on HiDPI displays

    - SunToolkit.checkImage/updateImage are updated to handle
multi-resolution image
       Both base image and the resolution variant are loaded now.
However, in future, it would be useful to have an ability to load, for
example, only @2x image
       if the system has only Retina display on Mac OS X. So there are
can be problems with backward compatibility.

   - MediaTracker is updated to handle multi-resolution image
      MediaTracker uses notifications both form the
Toolkit.prepareImage() method and image decoders. So only updating
Toolkit.prepareImage() is not enough.

   - ImageObserver is wrapped both in drawImage() and
SunToolkit.prepareImage() methods. Size and coordinates are converted to
the base image.
     A user can receive several notifications about the complete image
     It can breaks his code if the code relies that only one
notification should be received.

   - Resolution variant is ignored in case of errors in the drawImage()
      It needs to be decided on which step a user should be notified
that a resolution variant has error or this notification should be just
ignored.

   - Test is updated

   Icons and CustomCursor issues are handled by 8028212 and 8024926 bugs
and depend on the current bug implementation.

  Thanks,
  Alexandr.