<AWT Dev> [8] Review request for 7081584: Specification for Window.isAlwaysOnTopSupported needs to be clarified

Anthony Petrov anthony.petrov at oracle.com
Tue Oct 1 10:47:54 PDT 2013

Hi Sergey,

I'm wondering what compatibility impact of this change is. The
specification for Component.getToolkit() suggests that in theory several
toolkits may co-exist in a single application. And thanks to delegating
to the ComponentPeer, the Component.getToolkit() could return the actual
toolkit for this component.

However, your fix effectively disallows a component to belong to any
toolkit other than the default one, because its getToolkit() will never
return anything else (unless you extend the component's class and
override the method).

I really don't know whether this is widely used, but I think this may
impact some applications.

Also, imagine a window is made to belong to another toolkit somehow,
even with your changes. Now, why should its ability to be always-on-top
depend on the default toolkit instead of the window's own toolkit?

--
best regards,
Anthony