<AWT Dev> Review Request for 8039749: Migrate needed functionality from all subclasses of java.awt.Robot in jdk/test directory to the ancestor

Dmitriy Ermashov dmitriy.ermashov at oracle.com
Thu Aug 28 09:14:05 UTC 2014

Hi Anthony,

On 08/28/2014 12:09 PM, Anthony Petrov wrote:
> Hi Dmitriy, Yuri,
>
> On 8/27/2014 4:54 PM, Yuri Nesterenko wrote:
>> On 08/27/2014 04:25 PM, Dmitriy Ermashov wrote:
>>> At first, let me focus on fact that the actual motivation of moving
>>> functionality to java.awt.Robot is the Jigsaw project. We (SQE) will be
>>> unable to use internal java API after the project will be finished
>>> (ExtendedRobot just will not compile, for example) and it will be a
>>> reason of failing huge amount of regression and functional tests.
>
> Could you please clarify as to why it won't compile? IIUC, all the GUI
> tests that require Robot will be in a single module (the java.desktop
> one I suppose?), so why wouldn't ExtendedRobot compile while the tests
> themselves would if they all are located in the same module?
All jtreg tests are in default package, ExtendedRobot class as well.
When we trying to run any jtreg test that uses ExtendedRobot it fails
with the following error:
java.lang.IllegalAccessError: tried to access class sun.awt.SunToolkit
from class ExtendedRobot

As you can see the problem is not in tests that uses ExtendedRobot, but
in code that uses sun.* and other internal packages. This is the
limitation we are trying to deal with.
>>> As for waitForIdle() method, we do not change it's use-case. The
>>> java.awt.Robot class is used only for GUI actions. And waitForIdle() is
>>> used for ensuring of finishing all events in EventQueue.
>>> The implementation with realSync() just flushes native queue as well
>>> and
>>> it is just an improved version of existing one.
>>>
>>> Anyway, the changing of waitForIdle() implementation is discussable.
>>> The
>>> other solution may be in adding new method with realSync call.
>>
>> Which would require touching some 340 tests in apprx 950 places, sorry
>> for statistics.
>
> Yes, I realize that some changes will be needed for this. My concern
> is that having realSync() being called unconditionally from an
> existing public method may have an impact on existing applications
> that use the Robot for tasks other than testing (e.g. for simple
> automation tasks, etc.) And I'm not sure if we're able to estimate all
> the potential side effects that this change can bring.
We already have a kind of condition: a variable isAutoWaitForIdle.
waitForIdle method for now is called only from inside other Robot
methods and in case when isAutoWaitForIdle flag is set to true
(fortunately it's default value is false).

Thanks,
Dima