<AWT Dev> [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] JDK 9 RFR of JDK-8066621: Suppress deprecation warnings in java.desktop module

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Sat Dec 13 09:11:08 UTC 2014

On 12/12/2014 20:46, Phil Race wrote:
> :
>
> 2) Some significant fraction of all the warnings are for getPeer() :-
> dev/jdk/src/java.desktop/share/classes/java/awt/Container.java:821:
> warning: [deprecation] getPeer() in Component has been deprecated
>
> The issue here is that the deprecation javadoc tag is unable to
> distinguish deprecated for
> external usage vs legitimate internal usage. There is no problem with
> code inside the desktop module
> calling getPeer() which is defined in this same module.

In our modularization effort then the highest priority issue for the
client libraries area is JDK-8037739. This issue is about examining the
supportness of the peer APIs, and assuming they aren't meant to be
exported, then removing all references from the Java SE APIs (which
might mean removing methods). Assuming that java.awt.peer and
java.awt.dnd.peer are JDK-internal then you could drop the @Deprecated tags.

-Alan