<AWT Dev> [9] Review request for 8029339 Custom MultiResolution image support on HiDPI displays

Jim Graham james.graham at oracle.com
Fri Feb 7 16:19:54 PST 2014

The primary thing that I was concerned about was the presence of
integers in the API when Windows uses non-integer multiples and also
what policy they use for choosing scaled images.

I don't see a mention of taking the current transform into account, just
physical issues like screen DPI and form factor.  They talk about
resolution plateaus and in their recommendations section they tell the
developer to use a particular property that tells them the screen
resolution to figure out which image to load if they are loading
manually.  There is no discussion about dynamically loading multiple
versions of the image based on a dynamic program-applied transform
factor as is done on MacOS.

Also, they tell developers to draw images to a specific size rather than
using auto-sizing.  That begs the question as to how they interpret a
call to draw an image just using a location in the presence of various
DPI factors.

			...jim