<AWT Dev> RFR: Allow using a system installed libpng

Andrew Hughes gnu.andrew at redhat.com
Thu Feb 13 20:59:21 PST 2014

----- Original Message -----
> Hi,
>
> * Magnus Ihse Bursie <magnus.ihse.bursie at oracle.com> [2014-02-12 17:49]:

> > >Yes.
> >
> > Okay then.
> >
> > I'll put a mental note to revisit libpng when cleaning up
> > libraries.m4.
>
> Assuming that I have the cycles to clean up some stuff, what's the
> minimal I could get away with (to enable system libpng support)?
>
> > Are we in agreement that it should to the following:
> > --with-libpng=bundled | system | <some path>
> > and if "system" is selected, it should first check with pkg-config,
> > and only if that fails, try hard-coded values. In any case it should
> > try to compile a short code to see that it works properly. (This is
> > not needed for bundled; that is assumed to be working).
>
> Would it be sufficient if I updated the patch to use PGK_CHECK_MODULES
> and simply fail if that doesn't work? I will be happy to implement
> something more complex if you can sketch it out.
>
> Thanks,
> Omair
>
> --
> PGP Key: 66484681 (http://pgp.mit.edu/)
> Fingerprint = F072 555B 0A17 3957 4E95  0056 F286 F14F 6648 4681

As I said in the previous e-mail, the minimum I'd be happy with is if
the current patch was updated so settings weren't being hardcoded into
the makefiles. Passing them from configure would be sufficient for now,
then it can be replaced by PKG_CONFIG.

That said, adding PKG_CONFIG is trivial. This is what the IcedTea forest
has had in its jdk_generic_profile script since 2011:

# Export variables for system libpng
# PNG_CFLAGS and PNG_LIBS tell the compiler how to compile and
# link against libpng
if [ -x "${pkgconfig}" ] ; then
  if [ "${PNG_CFLAGS}" = "" ] ; then
    PNG_CFLAGS=$("${pkgconfig}" --cflags libpng)
  fi
  if [ "${PNG_LIBS}" = "" ] ; then
    PNG_LIBS=$("${pkgconfig}" --libs libpng)
  fi
fi
if [ "${PNG_LIBS}" = "" ] ; then
    PNG_LIBS="-lpng"
fi
export PNG_CFLAGS
export PNG_LIBS

In autoconf, obviously, you can use the preferable macro instead
by the idea is the same.

I don't see why this needs so much discussion.

If pkg-config fails, there are three options of what to do:

1. Error out. This is my preference & what IcedTea does.

    PKG_CHECK_MODULES(PNG, libpng,[LIBPNG_FOUND=yes],[LIBPNG_FOUND=no])
    if test "x${LIBPNG_FOUND}" = xno
    then
      AC_MSG_ERROR([Could not find libpng; install libpng or build with --disable-system-png to use the in-tree copy.])
    fi
    AC_SUBST(PNG_CFLAGS)
    AC_SUBST(PNG_LIBS)

2. Use a hardcoded value as the IcedTea forest does.
3. Output a message and drop back to bundled automatically.

This isn't the default like in IcedTea, which makes me even more
strongly in favour of option 1. If someone has explicitly enabled
the system libpng option, silently carrying on and using the bundled
one is kind of evil.
--
Andrew :)

Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

PGP Key: 248BDC07 (https://keys.indymedia.org/)
Fingerprint = EC5A 1F5E C0AD 1D15 8F1F  8F91 3B96 A578 248B DC07