<AWT Dev> [9] Review request for 8046495: KeyEvent can not be accepted in quick mouse clicking

anton nashatyrev anton.nashatyrev at oracle.com
Wed Jul 2 15:28:58 UTC 2014

Hello, Anton

On 02.07.2014 18:13, Anton V. Tarasov wrote:
> On 02.07.2014 11:44, Petr Pchelko wrote:
>> Hello, Anton.
>>
>> I'm not sure I have a detailed understanding of what's happening.
>>
>> Before your fix the timestamp of the event represented the time when
>> the event was created, and now it's the time when it's sent to java.
>> This might be important if some events cause other events to be
>> issued on the java side.
>>
>> So suppose the following:
>> Toolkit thread: InputEvent#1 created      - timestamp 0
>> Toolkit thread: InputEvent#2 created      - timestamp 1
>> Toolkit thread: InputEvent#1 sent           - timestamp 2
>> EDT:             InputEvent#1 dispatched - timestamp 3
>> EDT:               FocusEvent  created        - timestamp 4
>> Toolkit thread: InputEvent#2 sent           - timestamp 5
>>
>> Before you fix we had the following event order: InputEvent#1(ts=0),
>> InputEvent#2(ts=1), FocusEvent(ts=4).
>> But after your fix we will have a different order:
>> InputEvent#1(ts=2), FocusEvent(ts=4), InputEvent#2(ts=5).
>> So now we would have troubles, because the Input Event will go to the
>> new focused component instead of the old one.
>> Do you think that my arguments are correct? I understand that the
>> likelihood of such a situation is very low, but for me it looks
>> possible? Am I missing something?
>
> A timestamp for a FocusEvent is taken from
> the_most_recent_KeyEvent_time which is set on EDT when the event is
> dispatched. So the fix shouldn't affect it.
>
> Also, in awt_Window.cpp, when a TimedWindowEvent is created it is
> passed a timestamp got with TimeHelper::getMessageTimeUTC(). It
> appears, that the fix makes key events times even more consistent with
> it. So, from the kbd focus perspective, it shouldn't make any harm.
>
> Anton, could you just please run the following tests, at least:
>
> test/java/awt/Focus/6981400/*
> test/java/awt/KeyboardFocusManager/TypeAhead/*

I've tested with the following set:
[closed]/java/awt/event/*
[closed]/java/awt/Focus/*
[closed]java/awt/KeyboardFocusManager/*

: no unexpected failures here.

I've also verified that my regression test which comes with the fix
works fine on Linux and Mac (despite the fix is Win specific).

Thanks for review!
Anton.