<AWT Dev> [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] JDK-8041679 Replace uses of StringBuffer with StringBuilder within the JDK

Paul Sandoz paul.sandoz at oracle.com
Wed May 14 08:15:55 UTC 2014

HI Phil,

Thanks for looking at this.

On May 13, 2014, at 11:15 PM, Phil Race <philip.race at oracle.com> wrote:

> Paul,
>
> I don't see why you changed the variable names in some cases.

Note it's not me :-) I am, mostly, the proxy.

> See here where one change is only one line since you left it alone and the other is 6 lines since you changed it
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psandoz/jdk9/sb/JDK-8041679-buffer-to-builder-media/webrev/src/share/classes/javax/print/attribute/Size2DSyntax.java.sdiff.html
> As it is, its just inconsistent and makes it less obvious to the eye that nothing unexpected changed.

That's a fair point.

> And here what could have been a 2 line change is 25 ..
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psandoz/jdk9/sb/JDK-8041679-buffer-to-builder-media/webrev/src/share/classes/sun/font/StandardTextSource.java.sdiff.html
> So I would say leave the variable names alone unless there's a compelling reason - and I don't see one.

"buf" no longer corresponds to a buffer but to a builder, so i think it is reasonable in this case to use the canonical "sb" name.

> Also pushing the 2D, AWT and Swing changes to client is requested as although your changes are
> small its what is appropriate. I would not push hotspot changes to client either. Also lots of files
> are being updated in client and doing it this way will minimise merges ...

Although hotspot is a *separate* repository, there is a much clearer dividing line.

This code is under src/share/classes, so it's not clear to me what classes i can modify and push in the jdk9-dev/jdk repo or not. It's confusing! Is there a list online somewhere?

Out of all the classes here:

  http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psandoz/jdk9/sb/JDK-8041679-buffer-to-builder-media/webrev/

exactly which ones should be pushed to the client forest and which ones to the jdk9-dev forest? all of them, or just a sub-set?

How long would it take for the changes to the client jdk repo to make it's way into the jdk9-dev jdk repo?

Really what i am getting at here is i think we need to change our process of how we manage such forests; we need to consolidate.

Paul.