<AWT Dev> [9] Review Request: 8043393 NullPointerException and no event received when clipboard data flavor changes

Petr Pchelko petr.pchelko at oracle.com
Thu May 22 15:42:16 UTC 2014

Hello, AWT Team.

Please review a yet another AppContext fix:
The fix is available here:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~pchelko/9/8043393/webrev/

checkChange method is called on a Toolkit thread, but we are trying to convert formats to flavors there.
The conversion needs to to use the SystemFlavorMap which is local to AppContext. But really we can
avoid conversion and compare native formats.

This fix is not absolutely precise: in case we have several applets in one VM and each applet have set it's own
different flavor mapping, it's possible (but highly unlikely) that a notification would be delivered incorrectly.
But fixing that imaginary bug would require enormous amount of changes in Clipboard event delivery and will make
it way harder to modularize the DataTransfer system. So I believe that a simple solution would work better here.
I can file a new P4 bug for the described scenario to address it after I finish DataTransfer modularization.

With best regards. Petr.