<AWT Dev> [8u60] RFR: 8043340: [macosx] Fix hard-wired paths to JavaVM.framework

David DeHaven david.dehaven at oracle.com
Mon Jan 12 16:25:21 UTC 2015

Or rather, the point of this exercise is to eliminate the hacks to get it to build with Xcode 5 (I'm not sure if anyone was truly successful with that). It's far better to just build with Xcode 4.6.3, and with these changes you don't even need to pre-sanitize your Xcode environment.

A proper build setup would have Xcode 5 or 6 installed in /Applications/Xcode.app (generally MAS managed) and Xcode 4.6.3 (still available for download on ADC) somewhere NOT directly in /Applications (the Mac App Store has a nasty habit of "upgrading" it when it sees it there). I keep mine in /Applications/old along with a copy of Xcode 5.1.1 for test purposes.

The --with-xcode-path argument is optional, you should also be able to build with Xcode 4 selected via "sudo xcode-select -switch /path/to/Xcode4.app". I leave MAS managed Xcode (currently 6) active as I'm constantly bouncing between projects and it's a hassle to have to remember to reset the active toolchain, so I thought it best to allow configure to be provided a path.

I'm kind of bummed I didn't get to show my really nasty hack for working around the broken lipo stub tool, it was so horrible it could be considered artwork! :)

-DrD-

>>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ddehaven/8043340/jdk8u/v0/top
>>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ddehaven/8043340/jdk8u/v0/hotspot