<AWT Dev> [9] review request for 8072769: System tray icon title freezes java

Sergey Bylokhov Sergey.Bylokhov at oracle.com
Wed Mar 4 13:03:33 UTC 2015

On 04.03.2015 15:08, Semyon Sadetsky wrote:
> I think it's more like bug regression test policy. Since I'm a novice
> in the project maybe you or somebody can advise me the right process.
> Lets see what we have here:
> The fix is connected to the windows platform native code only. It is a
> platform specific corner case. I would not say it contains "magic
> numbers", those numbers a not magic for the native layer. But in the
> test we call native code from java where in truth string parameters
> maximum lengths are not specified.
> I think it make sense to run the test on all other platforms test
> iterating strings lengths up to 1000 or more just to ensure that there
> no similar issues there. We can do this once or have an option to
> switch this scenario on.
The goal of the test is to catch all possibly related issues. So instead
of numbers use ranges, cover all platforms if the test don't use
platform's specific classes, cover all look and feels, automatic test is
better than manual, make the test generic. But it has of course some
restrictions like performance and stability. Moreover it seems that
right now displayMessage/setToolTip are used in the manual tests only.