<AWT Dev> [9] Review request for 8132706 [macosx] Toolkit.getImage() throws NPE for null URL

Alexander Scherbatiy alexandr.scherbatiy at oracle.com
Fri Apr 15 18:47:09 UTC 2016

On 15/04/16 22:11, Phil Race wrote:
> And it prints the stack trace ??
>
> This gets even messier.
>
> Is there anything we can do to have sensible specification of
> what happens with null that isn't likely to cause (much) harm ?

  I see only two options. Do not throw the NPE as it was before and
throw the NPE.
  The second one can break some old applications which do not expect
that the exception can be thrown in this case.

  If the second option is acceptable probably the Toolkit.getImage()
javadoc can be updated.

  Thanks,
  Alexandr.