<AWT Dev> RFE: Windows awt FileDialog in JDK9

Hendrik Schreiber hs at tagtraum.com
Mon Mar 7 16:35:08 UTC 2016

Hey there,

as far as I can tell, the Windows AWT FileDialog still uses the Win32 Common File Dialog (see awt_FileDialog.cpp), which has existed seemingly forever.

Since we don’t support older Windows versions anymore in JDK9, wouldn’t it make sense to update the AWT FileDialog implementation to use the newer
"Common Item Dialog” (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb776913(v=vs.85).aspx)?

Common Item Dialog was introduced in Vista and therefore should be available on all targeted Windows versions (please correct me if I’m wrong). This would allow users to easily access a good-looking file dialog. Perhaps even fix HiDPI issues for free along the way.

The current AWT FileDialog looks like it’s from the last century (I guess it is). An update would be much appreciated.

I’d be happy to file a corresponding bug report, but figured it makes sense to float the idea here first.

Cheers,

-hendrik