<AWT Dev> <Swing Dev> [10] Review request for 8166772: Touch keyboard is not shown for text components on a screen touch

Anton Litvinov anton.litvinov at oracle.com
Fri Sep 22 00:39:55 UTC 2017

Hello Sergey,

Thank you very much for review of this fix. The second version of the
fix with minor changes in 3 places which address your remarks is
created. The new fix version applied to the today's version of the
consolidated repository "jdk10/client" was verified in my local
environment successfully. Could you please look at the new version of
the fix.

Webrev (the 2nd version):
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~alitvinov/8166772/jdk10/webrev.01

The 2nd version of the fix contains the next changes:
1.  "SunToolkit.java" file - Now "true" is used as the default value for
the system property "awt.touchKeyboardAutoShowIsEnable".
2.  The 1st version of the fix was not thread-safe, only in case, when
more than 1 EDT could exist in the process, in 2 places: "WToolkit.java"
file (access to the fields "compOnTouchDownEvent",
"compOnMousePressedEvent"), "awt_Toolkit.cpp" file (deletion and
assignment of "NULL" to the field "m_touchKbrdExeFilePath" in the method
"ShowTouchKeyboard()").
     - "WToolkit.java" - The modifier "volatile" was added to the fields
"compOnTouchDownEvent", "compOnMousePressedEvent".
     - "awt_Toolkit.cpp" - Code deleting and assigning NULL to
"m_touchKbrdExeFilePath" in the method "ShowTouchKeyboard()" was
substituted for the code which outputs into the trace message in case,
if launching the touch keyboard system application fails.

Could you please answer my question.
- Should CCC request be filed for the new system property
"awt.touchKeyboardAutoShowIsEnable", whose value is considered as "true"
by default, if it is not specified by the user explicitly while
launching a Java application?

Thank you,
Anton

On 05/09/2017 18:15, Sergey Bylokhov wrote:
> Hi, Anton.
> The fix looks good.
>  - But can you please recheck that is is not necessary to use
> additional synchronization in showOrHideTouchKeyboard() if a few EDT
> will be used.
>  - I suggest to invert the awt.touchKeyboardAutoShowIsEnabled and use
> true as default value, we will have more coverage and feedback in this
> case. This property will be used as a workaround if some bugs will be
> found.
>
> On 8/30/17 11:51, Anton Litvinov wrote:
>> Hello dear reviewers,
>>
>> Could anybody please look at this review request?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Anton
>>
>> On 17/08/2017 13:20, Anton Litvinov wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Could you please review the following fix for the bug.

>>> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~alitvinov/8166772/jdk10/webrev.00
>>>
>>> The bug is the fact that, when a user touches any Swing or AWT text
>>> component, for example "JTextField", "JTextArea", "TextField",
>>> "TextArea", by means of a touch screen on a host with MS Windows
>>> 10/8.1/8 OS, the system touch keyboard is not shown automatically.
>>> Please find a detailed description of the bug, screenshots depicting
>>> the touch keyboard and a compilable test case with Swing/AWT text
>>> components in JBS bug record. Also a summary of the done research of
>>> the issue with a description of identified approaches for its
>>> resolution are reported in my last comment in the bug record.
>>>
>>> THE FIX:
>>> On a very abstract level the fix functioning can be presented by the
>>> next 3 stages:
>>>
>>> Stage 1.
>>> The fix adds support of "WM_TOUCH" system window messages to AWT
>>> native peer windows through C++ class "AwtComponent". It "processes"
>>> "WM_TOUCH" message and marks "java.awt.event.MouseEvent", which is
>>> created as a result of handling of the further coming
>>> "WM_LBUTTONDOWN", "WM_LBUTTONUP" messages sent by the system in
>>> substitution for this "WM_TOUCH" message, by the new private field
>>> flag "MouseEvent.causedByTouchEvent".
>>>
>>> Stage 2.
>>> Then on Java level the fix handles "MouseEvent", "FocusEvent"
>>> received only by the instances of "java.awt.TextComponent",
>>> "javax.swing.text.TextComponent" in
>>> "WToolkit.showOrHideTouchKeyboard()" called from