<AWT Dev> <Swing Dev> [10] Review request for 8182043: Access to Windows Large Icons

Alexey Ivanov alexey.ivanov at oracle.com
Fri Sep 22 11:22:07 UTC 2017

Hi Sergey,

On 22/09/2017 04:21, Sergey Bylokhov wrote:
> On 9/21/17 14:12, Semyon Sadetsky wrote:

>>> Does it mean that all sizes will be supported(1-Integer.MAX_INT)? I
>>> guess it is unlikely that the the explorer.exe will contains the
>>> icons bigger than 1024.
>> This is a a cross-platform API, not a windows specific implementation.
>
> This was an example, and the question was how the user will know what
> icons are supported by some specific file.

There's no way of knowing in advance.
Explorer does not restrict the size of icons (now), it's up to
developers of a particular file handler to provide icons. Usually,
there's only one icon with size larger than 255.

If there's the icon of the requested size, Explorer will give it to you,
otherwise it will scale the closest available to the requested size.

Windows documentation suggests the following sizes:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn742485(v=vs.85).aspx#size_requirements

As for FILE_ICON_SMALL and FILE_ICON_LARGE, I'd suggest using Windows
API to retrieve the recommended size for small and large icon size
rather than defaulting to 16×16 and 32×32. If HiDPI is in effect, the
icons must be larger.

Regards,
Alexey