<AWT Dev> 8209520: Build fails when native code coverage is enabled

Igor Ignatyev igor.ignatyev at oracle.com
Fri Aug 31 18:24:31 UTC 2018

Hi Magnus,

herein I will be talking only about 1st two warnings.

although your analyze is correct, it doesn't take into account the fact that the warnings report situations that can't happen in current codebase, and gcc doesn't report them in our "regular" builds b/c it can proof that
- in macroAssembler_x86.cpp both rounding_control() and precision_control() are >= 0 and <= 3, so switch statements do cover all possible cases
- in genCollectedHeap.cpp, removeSmallestScratch is called only from one place w/ prev_ptr being an address of local variable, therefore we will always visit while loop, so smallest_ptr and smallest will be inited.

so these warnings are false-possitive b/c they can never happen. one can argue that if we change the code, these issues might become real. that's true, but when it happens, gcc will report them as warnings for non-instrumented builds, as the compiler won't be able to proof that prev_ptr is always not null, or precision_control is from [0;3], etc. this is one of the reasons why these bugs won't be ever treated the same as other compiler errors. they are false-possitive from practical point of view and fixing them not always improve code quality, it some case we might end up w/ more clumsy code just to fix "potential" issues w/ zero probability to happen. if we want to use compiler warnings to improve quality, I'd suggest us to start w/ removing currently disabled warnings and/or start using clang static analyzer and clang tidy rather than fixing issues which will never happen.

disabling warnings in instrumented builds isn't the same as disabling all warnings in a single stroke, it's just disabling warnings in a build configuration we don't treat as important as other configurations.

as for the bug I posted, it was "fixed" by passing '--disable-warnings-as-errors' to jprt if native-coverage is enabled.

Thanks,
-- Igor