<AWT Dev> [11] JDK-8195738: scroll poistion in ScrollPane is reset after calling validate()

Shashidhara Veerabhadraiah shashidhara.veerabhadraiah at oracle.com
Fri Feb 23 18:57:15 UTC 2018

Hi Semyon, Whenever the container is resized we used to update the scroll pane sizes/geometry regardless of the scroll bar display policies. This resizing make sense for the non SCROLLBARS_NEVER cases as the scroll pane is displayed or needed an update. This additional update posed issues for the SCROLLBARS_NEVER case where we are not supposed to display the scroll pane per the java doc, then why update?

Scroll pane geometry gets updated in 2 ways, one thro' setScrollPosition() and childResized(). So I derived the conclusion based on the javadoc information that since we don't display the scroll pane there is no need to update the scroll pane geometry based on the childResized() as it was altering the position already set by the setScrollPosition(). This behavior is same as the other non SCROLLBARS_NEVER mode and setting the scroll bar display to SCROLLBARS_NEVER didn't made any difference.

Thanks and regards,
Shashi