<AWT Dev> [13] JDK-8218917: KeyEvent.getModifiers() returns inconsistent values for ALT keys

Philip Race philip.race at oracle.com
Tue Mar 12 00:37:16 UTC 2019

The debate is about AltGraph which an ancient MS-DOSism for
asking for an ALTernate GRAPHics bitmap font - all pre-dates windows
and I am sure has never been applicable to any MacOS.

So someone needs to properly explain why we would claim a Mac keyboard
is OK to generate a keycode it doesn't have and cause a slew of regressions
in the process ...

If Mac doesn't distinguish these two, we should generate the same
keycode for both.
One could suppose there is a difference else why two keys, but what is
the right
thing to do here  that fixes all the problems. What exactly WAS the problem
with what was there in the first place ? And if changing it is correct
why is it
causing regressions ?

-phil.