<AWT Dev> [15] Review request for 8242498: Invalid "sun.awt.TimedWindowEvent" object leads to JVM crash

Sergey Bylokhov Sergey.Bylokhov at oracle.com
Thu Apr 16 13:50:19 UTC 2020

On 4/16/20 6:38 am, Anton Litvinov wrote:
> I prefer to fix one problem at a time. There is no need to get "jobject jOpposite" from HWND returned by "GetTopLevelParentForWindow", when "jOpposite" got from the original "opposite" HWND is instance of "java.awt.Window". I am not going to explore all possible scenarios involving dialogs, modal dialogs, owned windows, owner windows, components in those windows and check if "GetTopLevelParentForWindow" will work in those scenarios, it is not related to this bug. Also I will repeat I will not change the existing behavior just for the reason of checking, if it cause any regression or does not cause it.

So it means that after the fix, if the current opposite_HWND will be map to the "Component" instead of the "Window", and we will start to execute the new code and call GetTopLevelParentForWindow(), then we do not sure how this method will work for the dialogs, modal dialogs, owned windows, owner windows, components in those windows?

Then probably it is better to check that in java? Just pass Component to the TimedWindowEvent, check the type and try to find the parent if it is not Window.

> Why do you think that the fix does not work?

I just tried to understand is it work or not.