<AWT Dev> RFR: 8225126 Test SetBoundsPaintTest.html faild on Windows when desktop is scaled

Alexey Ivanov alexey.ivanov at oracle.com
Thu Feb 6 21:17:43 UTC 2020

On 06/02/2020 20:41, Sergey Bylokhov wrote:
> On 2/6/20 12:24 pm, Alexey Ivanov wrote:
>>> I am not sure that this constant is related to the primary monitor
>>> only. The spec for SM_CYBORDER does not mention the primary monitor
>>> like some others SM_CYMAXIMIZED/SM_CYSCREEN etc.
>>
>> It's stated here:
>> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/gdi/multiple-monitor-system-metrics
>>

>> The GetSystemMetrics function returns values for the primary monitor,
>> except for SM_CXMAXTRACK and SM_CYMAXTRACK, which refer to the entire
>> desktop. …
> Then we will need to find some alternatives to GetSystemMetrics which
> is used a lot.

I'm afraid there's no alternatives.
GetSystemMetricsForDpi [1] performs the same scaling that we ourselves.
This function returns the same result as GetSystemMetrics but scales it
according to an arbitrary DPI you provide if appropriate.
Available since Windows 10, version 1607.

We may need to take that into account when using the returned values
from GetSystemMetrics.

[1]
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows/win32/api/winuser/nf-winuser-getsystemmetricsfordpi

>>> We use this value as-is for all monitors, in java we scale value
>>> and if passed back to native we convert it again by ScaleUpY like in
>>> resetDropDownHeight().
>>
>> Does it mean ScaleDownY at line 233 is not required then?
>
> The GetTotalHeight() is used at line 316 where the user's space
> coordinate are expected.

So my initial understanding was correct.

Looks good.

--
Regards,
Alexey