<AWT Dev> [15] Review Request: 8231564 and 8176359

Sergey Bylokhov Sergey.Bylokhov at oracle.com
Sun Jan 26 22:43:56 UTC 2020

Hello.
Please review the fix for JDK 15.

Bugs: 8231564: setMaximizedBounds is broken with large display scale and multiple monitors
       8176359: Frame#setMaximizedbounds not working properly in multi screen environments
Fix: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~serb/8176359/webrev.01

Short description:
=================
   The fix changes the way on how we limit the size and position of the maximized window.

Long description:
=================
   On Windows supports of maximized is done by the WM_GETMINMAXINFO[1] message. This
message provides MINMAXINFO[2] which has two related fields: ptMaxSize and ptMaxPosition.
   ptMaxPosition: The position of the left side of the maximized window (x member) and
                  the position of the top of the maximized window (y member). For top-level
                  windows, this value is based on the position of the primary monitor.
   ptMaxSize: The maximized width (x member) and the maximized height (y member) of the
              window. For top-level windows, this value is based on the width of the primary
              monitor.
"For systems with multiple monitors, the ptMaxSize and ptMaxPosition members describe the
maximized size and position of the window on the primary monitor, even if the window
ultimately maximizes onto a secondary monitor. In that case, the window manager adjusts
these values to compensate for differences between the primary monitor and the monitor that
displays the window. Thus, if the user leaves ptMaxSize untouched, a window on a monitor
larger than the primary monitor maximizes to the size of the larger monitor."

My observation:
=================
   1. Description of "ptMaxPosition" in the documentation is wrong, this value is based on the
      actual window's monitor not a primary monitor. I have read about it here[3] and confirmed
      by the tests using three monitors setup.
   2. ptMaxSize will be used as-is if the size is smaller than the !!main!! monitor. If the size
      is larger than the main monitor then the window manager adjusts the size, like this:
      // result = requested.w + (current.w - main.w); =>> This results in the correct size if we
      want to fully maximize the window on the current monitor, but if we want to set a smaller
      size then we will get the wrong result.
      We can try to compensate for this adjustment like this:
      // requested = requested.w - (current.w - main.w);
      but this can result to the size smaller than the main screen, so no adjustment will be
      done by the window manager =>> wrong size again.
      Note that the result does not depend on the monitor on which we maximize the window.
   3. For example for the three monitors setup: W1=600, W2=1600, W3=1080. It is not possible
      to maximize the window on W3 if the current window is on W2 monitor, because if we
      request size=1080 which is bigger than 600 and it will be adjusted by the window
      manager: resulted size = 1080+(1600-600) = 2080. If we will try to compensate this value:
      size = 1080 - (1600-600) = 80, which is smaller than main monitor and will be used as-is.

Fix description:
   1. To fix JDK-8231564 we should convert all coordinates from the user's virtual space to
      the device space.
   2. To fix JDK-8176359 we need to translate the bounds.x/y from the global virtual coordinate
      system related to the main monitor to the coordinate system of the window's actual monitor.
   3. The current code already tried to compensate adjustment, but it missed the fact that the
      width and height should be adjusted separately, but even if that be fixed, in some situations
      this logic will be broken(see observation point 3). So instead of fixing that I have passed
      these values to the native as-is, and cut the adjustment in the  WM_WINDOWPOSCHANGING event,
      just before the window is resized.

Known issue:
  - The current approach, as well as most of the API which uses user's space coordinates, does
    not work well if different scales are used for each screen and the coordinates "overlaps".
  - It looks like the user in the JDK-8231564 tried to avoid covers the taskbar by the maximized
    undecorated window, this is a know issue JDK-8022302.

[1] https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/winmsg/wm-getminmaxinfo
[2] https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/winuser/ns-winuser-minmaxinfo?redirectedfrom=MSDN
[3] https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20150501-00/?p=44964