<AWT Dev> 8252015: Enhancement TrayIcon for macOS 11.0

Tres Finocchiaro tres.finocchiaro at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 15:49:45 UTC 2020

Thanks kindly for the insight.  We'll do the following:

   1. Switch from API change to a System property prior to creating a PR
   2. Investigate if win32 provides a similar API prior to creating a PR

Since most applications will wish to use this flag for the lifecycle of
their application, a System property seems sane and -- from what I
understand -- increases the likelihood of a backport.  Since complying with
macOS human interface guidelines already requires many other unorthodox
techniques a System property doesn't seem that far off from the various
other methods needed for other items.

We'll read the property just before NSImage construction so that it can be
toggled on and off without restarting the JVM and provide some examples in
the PR.  We'll need guidance on making the code (and thus any property
names) consistent, I hope that the PR is an OK place for these discussions
to occur.

We should have a PR ready this week.  Which repository should we target for
the initial PR?