<AWT Dev> FYI: A CFD for a Wayland project has been posted to discuss at openjdk.java.net

Alexey Ushakov alexey.ushakov at jetbrains.com
Thu Jul 8 12:36:04 UTC 2021

> What other support is missing ? What platform APIs should the
implementation  use ?
Currently we use XRender extension for many advanced operations in Java2D. Obviously it’s not available for pure Wayland apps. The only alternative for the moment is to use OpenGL pipeline. We can use it as mid term solution but for the long term we need to replace this outdated pipeline with something new. For example, we can use Vulkan api for more advanced rendering. Our recent effort to support Metal on Mac shows that current 2d architecture capable to support pipelines based on such advanced low level apis as Metal. Metal is quite similar to Vulkan.

Best Regards,
Alexey